The national offices of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), based in Louisville, Kentucky, serve and work with mid-councils, congregations and partner organizations to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the World. The work at the Presbyterian Center is carried out by approximately 400 staff members in several national entities: Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Investment and Loan, Presbyterian Mission Agency, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation, Presbyterian Women and the Administrative Services Group.
Position Purpose: Help the PC(USA) and others make data-informed decisions through the use of data science, consulting, and research (especially quantitative), both within the PC(USA) and with ecumenical & interfaith partners.
Job Skills / Requirements
- Research Specialist (lead and/or serve as a consultant on projects)
- Data Science Specialist (working in SPSS and Excel)
- Evaluative Research Project Manager (work with client to design and carryout research appropriate to the type of information needed, with minimal supervision, on projects assigned by coordinator; conduct analysis and write and disseminate reports; make presentations as required)
- Educator (working with our assigned communications specialist, help educate the public, the Presbyterian population, national PC(USA) agency and mid-council staff about findings and resources through a variety of communication vehicles, as appropriate)
- Professional Engagement and Development (work with and/or within professional associations; participate in professional meetings; read professional and scholarly publications to stay abreast of best research practices and current research in religion; publish reports as appropriate)
- Assist team members when needed to distribute project load fairly
Essential Position Requirements:
education: PhD in related field strongly preferred; MA in a social science field considered
– Minimum 3 years (with PhD) in social science research/5 years (with Masters’) in social science research considered; applied setting preferred;
– 3 to 5 years of supervisory experience
- Knowledge of statistics, including appropriate significance testing methods for varying levels of measurement and multivariate analysis
- Up-to-date knowledge of applied social science research methods
- Ability to develop quality surveys using best research practices
- Customer service skills in working with colleagues, clients, and the public
- Ability to interpret research data for persons with limited knowledge of statistics or research methodology
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SPSS
- Excellent writing, public speaking, and data visualization skills
- Understanding of and respect for Christian principles
Helpful Skills and Competencies
- Skill in working with a wide diversity of people and in building and maintaining relationships
- Knowledge of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and its polity/governance
- Copyediting skills
- Ability to design and conduct qualitative research, including focus groups and interviews
- Ability to analyze and interpret qualitative data into findings that church leaders, agency staff, and Presbyterians in general can find useful and understandable
- Ability to use Illustrator to generate graphics
- Experience with web survey development
- Ability to translate complex analytic issues into practical research questions
- Ability to analyze and interpret quantitative data into findings that church leaders, agency staff, and Presbyterians in general can find useful and understandable
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively in team setting with professional demeanor
Physical Requirements: Some occasional travel required
Additional Information / Benefits
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package for eligible employees including Medical, Dental, Pension Plan, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Vacation Days, Sick Days, and Paid Holidays.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates from Presbyterian communities in the global south and other historic Presbyterian Communities of Color, preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply. Individuals living with disabilities encouraged to apply.
This job reports to the Research Coordinator
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1